Roadmap of a troubled mind

People occasionally ask me why I don't believe in a deity. I either answer that I'd rather not be the butt of some omnipresent entity's joke, or that and I have more faith in human beings. Both are true

Monday, January 17, 2005

A new and disturbing development

Well, I guess it's time that I join the masses and eek myself a little webspace. Sitting here at work with stuff piling up and new stuff always at my heels. Good times though. Spent all Saturday in games, first my bi-weekly D&D game has restarted. I've got great new abilities and still tend to be the heavy hitter in the party (I love being a tank).

A funny thing happened during the D&D game... I'm playing a character class out of 3rd Ed. Oriental Adventures with the rest of the party being from the standard universe. So we're dungeon diving (of course, that's what you do in D&D), when during the fight we get separated...

One group goes off and ends up hiring goblins, something my character would highly disapprove of. My group comes across a chimera chained to the wall and several minotaur are fighting it. Now of course my head starts wondering... Here are 4 animals (the chimera is a combination of goat, lion, and dragon, plus the minotaur, which I'm considering a bull), that are part of the oriental zodiac. The chimera has a dragon head, and my character has a great reverence of the lungs back in his homeland. The minotaurs obviously have been corrupted so I decide to set the chimera free. This didn't go well with the person travelling with me who immediately goes off to find the leader of the other party and tattle.

So the leader of the party comes back shortly after I take down the minotaurs and asks what the hell am I going to do. I say I'm going to free the chimera. He's like, 'You know that's evil right??? It's going to flay the town! This is not your homeland, things work different here.'

So of course I free the chimera anyway. Which then proceeds to keep the uglies off me long enough to accomplish my part of the mission before it dies.

The moral of the story: Cultural history and superstition always outways the advice of the party thief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home