Roadmap of a troubled mind

People occasionally ask me why I don't believe in a deity. I either answer that I'd rather not be the butt of some omnipresent entity's joke, or that and I have more faith in human beings. Both are true

Friday, February 24, 2006

Nature or Nurture

I got into a discussion on the idea of Nature vs. Nurture as the fundamental cause of sexual orientation. This is an interesting topic and I think I'll share.

I understand that central to the idea of Nature is the idea that there are biological preferences that allow you to be "pre-programmed" with your orientation. Since your pre-programmed, you cannot help be what you are. I find this to be one of the most offensive statements I've ever heard.

I realize that there may be biological preferences that can nudge you toward one direction or the other, but to try and justify your choices with your DNA is just rediculous. I don't put a value on whatever choice you make, but please understand it is a choice.

However, your choices are shaped in accordance with your ethos and your fears, and ethos is built around your life experiences and how your were raised. When specifically dealing with sexuality, it's a slightly different story. While ethos is important, fear's a bigger influence. It's been found that the types of things that frightened us as children are the types of things that arouse us as adults. It makes sense, and is an explanation to why certain people tend to seek out abusive mates. Between this idea and the stupid way we treat victims (I'll save that rant for another time), you can fully explain the abuse cycle.

I also think that DNA as an argument is a very dangerous argument. Are you willing justify murder because the murderer has a hunter gene that makes him more likely to kill? Perhaps you should punish these people beforehand?

It's a very scary thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home